Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I should not be writing about this but...

I cannot help myself.

This is the longest job I ever held in my life.  I jumped from one company to another in my earlier days.  I got tired of it.  That's the primary reason that  keeps me in my current job.

Logic says it's time for a change  but I just don't have the gut.  I work so long in this job that the only people that I could use as references are my current co-workers and boss.  They will not be happy with me leaving.  I know because one of my co-workers decided to leave after having a baby, my boss is not really that thrilled.

Why do I want to change?

1.  I am exposed to second hand smoking from clients.
2.  This is not an 8 hour job.  We have so many charting that working until late at night is very common.
3.  Vulnerability.  We enter stranger's home.
4.  No assistance available when patient is heavy lift...
5.  Driving during winters....
6.  Patient has more control of their time.  Many do not want to be seen certain times...during Price is Right, The Young and the Restless, etc...
7.  The price of gas....and cars....

Well at least I have a job....and it pays pretty well....  Someday, there will come a job that will be worth the change...We'll see.  Or just wait for retirement...


4 comments:

Ed said...

I left four jobs and am now on my fifth. It is a natural progression of things as we age and learn more about what makes us happy and what doesn't make us happy. Life is too short to work at a job that stresses you out. I've left two jobs like that.

My advice is that while you still have this job, search for that new job. Since you still have a job, you can be choosy which always helps so that you don't get into another job you don't like. It also allows you more power in negotiating since you don't have to leave your current employer. Once you've signed on with the new job, give your current employer the required notice of leaving and don't look back. They will survive and if your loss is such a heartache for them, they should have treated and paid you better to keep you.

Good luck!

Ed said...

I didn't want to say this in the post on my blog but the company that bought out my wife's old place is Mercy so we are talking about one and the same place.

malor said...

Hi Ed, We are not actually Mercy anymore. It's CHS but we're still working under Mercy's name. I like Mercy better. I know it was Catholic Health Initiative. Our is Consolidated Health Services which is a profit company. CHI is non profit...

haze said...

You're right at least you have a job that pays well :D ! That's positive attitude.

I am also working part timer and I am paid per hour, I like it ! I only work every Mondays and Tuesdays only from 9am to 2pm so still have the time to take care of my 3 kids :D ! Earning a bit and still doing my responsibilities as a full time Mom !