Sunday, May 4, 2008

Spring in Iowa









Spring finally arrived in Iowa. We went to The Tulip Festival in Pella last Saturday. Such a perfect weather for being outside. It was about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Sunday it was in the 70's. So, we worked all day long outside in the garden.
It's funny because in the Philippines, people do not really talk about weather often. It is relatively predictable compared to Iowa. Philippines has only 2 seasons - wet and dry seasons, and warm all year round. We know the months for typhoon season. We listened for what "signal" the storm is for school purposes. Also, temperature does not vary too much.
Here, in Iowa it is a little bit crazier. It will be warm and sunshine one day then blizzard the next. "That's Iowa," many people explained to me. I am, however, more appreciative of changing seasons. I learned not to take for granted nice days. My house is unkempt during nice spring days. We spend more time outside in the backyard garden or just walking or biking around the neigborhood. Here are the lists of things I love in spring:
  • Tulip Festival in Pella.
  • Vegetable gardening
  • Flower gardening
  • Smell of newly mowed grass.
  • New leaves sprouting from tree branches
  • Flowers
  • Sounds of children playing in the street
  • Being able to open window to let the breeze inside the house
  • Grilling
  • Rain. People think I'm crazy but rain makes me think of home (Philippines)
  • Sound of birds chirping
  • Walking outside in just T shirt and shorts. (Goodbye heavy coats, scarf, hat, gloves and boots).
  • NO MORE SHOVELING

Spring is my favorite season because I know there will be more nice and warm days ahead....


No comments: